Hey there, friends and followers,
I’m sorry I’ve been MIA the last couple months. As most of you know, I’ve been really busy with my pages on Candy Coated. Well, as of yesterday, my part in Candy Coated is DONE!! Pencils are done, all that’s left are the inks and colors, and finishing of the book entirely, and eventually Imaginos PLUS will be printed. Overall, I had a good experience, and I learned a lot along the way. I think my biggest hurdle was keeping things consistent between the first 2 pages used to launch the Kickstarter campaign, and the last 6 pages after we received funding. I had reached a new plateau in my art, and it definitely starts to show in these pages. For the sake of keeping things consistent in style and rendering choices, I suppose I held back those improvements, if only just a little bit. What I’ve learned and the experience I’ve had through this process is something that I’m still trying to wrap my brain around. It’s an unbelievable feeling knowing you completed work that will be published. I’m happy with what I’ve put out there for the world to see, and I hope others will be, too. I also hope it will bring people to my art and what I have to offer. Which brings me to some new updates.
I’ve been working here and there with Rapid Fire Entertainment for some time, from creating their flagship character, FireFly, to covers for their first issue (1st b/w print run, and soon a 2nd print run [color edition w/ variant cover]). Having a hand in the creation of the character, FireFly is just as important to me as any of my characters. I’ve had the great privilege of doing covers for the series so far, and now, I get to handle interiors on Issue #2. Release date is some time in May and production has already begun. I’m pretty excited to be working on this, and it’s already starting to show. I’ll give sneak peeks and post a few more of my pages of Candy Coated when I have the time. Well, it’s back to work for me.
Until next time!
Trying to nail down a schedule for FireFly #2. This is the grind for the next 2 months, plus the day job. #makingcomics #art #drawing
Figured I’d get back into posting on my Tumblr with a bit of some behind the scenes stuff and how I tackle a cover layout. Here we go:
I came up with a few different ideas in my sketchbook, scanned, and sent them over to Terrell Smith, head of rapidfireentertainment. He chose layout C, and added a few notes and I got to work.
I start doing the rough in Manga Studio. Here I can tighten up the initial wireframe and nail the perspective without a million erasures, ruining the paper. At this juncture, I realized this was almost a wasted step (I was out of ink in my printer, where normally I would blue line this rough and print it onto a clean comic board). I say almost because this step at least got my brain wrapped around the composition as a whole.
So, I had to backtrack a bit and layout the composition in blue pencil on 11x17 Strathmore Bristol. I managed to tighten up the rough even more and fine tune the perspective and foreshortening. I also roughed in the background at this stage.
Working on the figure.
Final pencils. I can keep things fairly rough and open to changes since I ink a lot my own work.
I start the inking stage. I ink with a Winsor & Newton Kolinsky Sable brush size 1. This size brush can get the thin lines I need for crosshatching and with some added pressure, get really nice thick to thin lines. For straight lines and buildings, I use Prismacolor multiliners.
Final inks, cleaned up in Photoshop.
Hope you enjoyed this. I think I’ll try to do more of these, especially for comic pages (if I remember to). Until next time
Seems like every year I set goals for myself, my expectations are let down. I can’t keep doing this. This year has had its fair share of ups and downs in my art. There was definitely some great moments but overall things have regressed a bit for me. Commissions were once a way to pad my pockets for the hard times. Now, not so much. Something’s gotta give. So here’s my forecast for the rest of 2013 and forward into the new year: